City of Pomona Community Service Specialist II - Community Center Lead in Pomona, California
The professional world of recreation is calling you today! If you have ever wanted to work in a government Community Services department or become an important component of your community, you have come to the right place. Become a member of the Community Services Division as a Community Services Specialist II - Community Center Lead and make sure your community has plenty of outlets for healthy, fun, and educational activities. Starting a career in recreation is at your fingertips, so get started today!
Under direct supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, lead supervision of the Recreation Supervisor and with the support of the Community Services Specialist III, the Community Services Specialist II provides direct support to a community center in order to ensure programmatic, contractual, grant, and City goals and deadlines are met while responding to community needs.
The Community Services Division has an opportunity available which is classified as at-will, hourly / part-time and averages 20 hours per week and less than 1,000 hours in a twelve (12) month period.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO APPLY:
The City is seeking candidates who are dedicated to providing the community with quality and innovative programming. Some of the characteristics that make a successful candidate are:
Enthusiastic and creative. You have a go-getter attitude with a desire to provide the best programming possible to our our community's youth.
Responsible with good judgment and character. You understand the importance of taking ownership of your program and the ability to develop positive relationships with community partners and the public.
In addition, you will need any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- High school graduate or GED equivalency required.
- One (1) year of paid experience or a combination of paid and volunteer experience in a recreational field or after school program. College students in fields of kinesiology, math, science, and language arts are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bilingual (English & Spanish) applicants are highly desired.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must possess and maintain a valid California Class "C" driver's license and have a good driving record.
Knowledge of: leadership skills and professional ability to conduct several varied types of recreation activities and/or organize groups for participation in diversified recreation programs. Recreation theories and their application to individual and group behavior; ability to inspire confidence and enthusiasm; to blend with various groups; and to maintain effective relationships with associates, participants, and the public. Ability to: work efficiently with basic office technology.
Community Services Specialist II - Community Center Lead:
- Plan, supervise and implement community-based recreation and enrichment programs, monthly goals and objectives, calendar of activities, daily schedule, curriculum, and snack at a designated after school site.
- Schedules and maintains centralized calendar of all activities occurring at designated community center.
- Coordinate daily program operations including program planning and general upkeep of site and equipment.
- Conducts and/or attends regular meetings and training sessions that directly affect the development, planning, coordination and implementation of designated site.
- Lead community outreach efforts at designated site to raise awareness and increase and retain community involvement.
- Provide direction and guidance to site staff (CSS1) and volunteers. Monitor staff schedules, arrivals and departures and absences.
- Administrative duties including, but not limited to; attendance, monthly summaries, enrollment, and time cards.
- Work collaboratively to develop and foster new programs and best practices throughout all community center locations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of staff trainings.
- Meet deadlines while maintaining high quality of work.
- Support other community centers as needed.
- Ensure established emergency and safety procedures are followed at all times.
- Accurately document all incidents/accidents and ensure proper communication to all parties as appropriate.
- Communicate in a positive and effective manner with all participants, City officials, parents, community members and co-workers.
- Maintain professional demeanor at all times to ensure the City's image and core values are upheld.
- Assist in implementation of Division and Citywide events.
- Ensure constant and consistent supervision of all participants, ensuring their guidance and safety.
- Facilitate recreation and enrichment activities that may include music, dance, science, technology, engineering, math, sports, arts, theater, etc.
- Maintain a space that is welcoming and conducive to youth activities.
- Assist in youth recruitment, enrollment, attendance maintenance/monitoring and tracking.
- Assist in snack or meal preparation and/or distribution.
- Support other after school recreation sites as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work hours will be approximately 15-20 hours per week. Work hours will vary, Monday through Friday 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, and some weekend assignments may be required.
Screening of qualifications and "most qualified" is based on the information provided on the official City Application. A resume may be attached to your application, but will not substitute for the completion of your application. Applications that are not entirely completed may be rejected. This recruitment may also establish a list for future vacancies.
To complete your application for this position you will be prompted to respond to supplemental questions. Incomplete responses, false statements, omission, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. Your responses should be consistent with the information provided on your application. The information will be used as part of the application screening and selection process and is designed to help you present your qualifications for this position. This may include a selection step in which your application and supplemental questions are reviewed and scored by a panel of raters familiar with this position.
Job Title: Community Service Specialist II - Community Center Lead
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 05/07/18 6:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $13.00 Hourly
Job Type: Part-Time
Location: Palomares Park - 499 E. Arrow Hwy, Pomona, CA, California