Cedars-Sinai Research Associate II in Los Angeles, California
Research Associate II Requisition # 29775
Summary of Essential Job Duties:
Working under direct supervision of PI’s, the Research Associate II performs routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. The Research Associate II will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; basic experimental mouse investigations, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Associate will perform a variety of routine experimental mouse protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. The main duties are; to run mouse experimental work, histology section preparation, complex immunostaining protocols of tissues. The Associate will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance.
• Performs a variety of increasingly complex experimental protocols and procedures and assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques particularly preparing mouse tissue for histology sample, perform advance microscopy studies, Immunostaining experiments, ELISA, PCR and microbiome related e experiments.
• Work with PI and assist in breeding and genotyping and generation of transgenic mice.
• Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
• Maintain lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
• Assists in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research, and microscopy mouse tissue dissection. Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
• Observes and complies with safety standards and proicedures.
• Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
• Should have particular familiarity with mouse gastrointestinal and cardiovascular tissue dissection and microbiome work.
• Experience with sterile cell clture techniques.
• Must demonstrate ability to work in collaborative research groups. Must be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description as the project evolves.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities ducational Requirements:
• Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences required. Masters degree or equivalent experience preferred. Expertise in immunological techniques and assays and experience in microbiome
• Must be willing to complete coursework for both IRB and IACUC (Animal Use) certification
• 2 years of laboratory experience. Understanding of general research objectives. Familiar with routine laboratory procedures, experimentatl protocols, and overall lab organization. Experience with complex mouse breeding and maintenance as well as mouse gastrointestinal and mouse cardio-vascular dissection experiments. Experience with immuno histochemistry and microscopy work.
• Applicant must be highly motivated and able to work independently. Must have superior interpersonal, communication and organization skills and the ability to work acros company disciplines and functional units, and computer application experience.
• Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
Physical Demands: (e.g., lifting, standing, walking)
• Full sensory response (vision, speech, hearing, smell, touch)
• Manual finger dexterity and fine motor skills with eye-hand coordination
• Frequent standing, walking, twisting (trunk, neck), bending (waist), flexing/extending/stretching (extremities and trunk). Occasional sitting, gripping/grasping, reaching below shoulder level, reaching above shoulder level, kneeling, squatting. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds, push/pull at least 100 pounds and carry 25 pounds.
- Working Title: Research Associate II
- Business Entity: CSMC - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0801085 - Home Dept-Simmons
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Research/Research Admin
- Job Specialty: Research
- Position Type: Regular-F/T
- Shift Length: 8hr
- Hours: tbd
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Shift Type: Flexible
- Weekends: As Needed
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.