Marriott Director - Room Service in Culver City, California
Posting Date Mar 13, 2018
Job Number 18000MPA
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JWMarriott/Ritz-Carlton LALIVE, Los Angeles, California VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels , Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Manages room service operations and staff on a daily basis. Ensures the timely, accurate and appealing presentation of food and beverage delivered to guest rooms and hospitality suites. As a department head, directs and works with the food and beverage/culinary management team and employees to successfully execute all room service operations. Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial performance of the department. Strengthens the food and beverage/culinary team by assisting in other outlets when needed
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
Skills and Knowledge
• Economics and Accounting.
• Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Day-to-Day Operations
• Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensures the quality, standards and meets the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Attends pre- post-convention meetings to understand group needs, set appropriate expectations and gather critical information to communicate to areas of responsibility.
• Prepares weekly and period end P&L critiques.
• Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Manages areas of operation to budget by reviewing operating statements, budget worksheets and payroll progress reports.
• Manages department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall property financial goals and educates staff on details as appropriate.
Leading Food and Beverage Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Provides the leadership, vision and direction to bring together and prioritize the departmental goals in a way that will be efficient and effective.
• Ensures compliance with all food & beverage policies, standards and procedures.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Solicits employee feedback on a continuous basis.
• Ensures on-going communication is happening in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives and communicates expectations, recognizes performance and produces desired business results.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
• Develops and implements incentive programs for staff to maximize revenue and encourage goal attainment for all areas.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position and monitors progress.
• Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
• Ensures self and direct report managers attend appropriate core training classes.
• Reviews guest feedback with employees to develop appropriate correction action.
• Establishes customer service guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Identifies the educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaches or instructs others.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. Marriott International considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.