Southern California Edison 2018 Information Technology (IT) - Grid Services (Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Information System Majors) in Rosemead, California
Energy for What’s Ahead.
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
The role of IT goes beyond the traditional Information Technology “service provider.” Many of the innovative ideas and projects that shape the company’s future and move SCE forward are dependent on technology. IT employees are at the heart of these projects, collaborating, designing and executing technology solutions that are transforming our industry.
This position is part of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) University and Campus Relations Internship Program. The Summer Internship program is a 10-12 week paid opportunity to gain hands-on experience with meaningful work, while developing your skills, and building your network. The internship has an estimated start date of May/June 2018 and an estimated end date of August/September 2018. Summer interns may have the potential to carry on as Year-Round interns, working part-time throughout the school year. Decisions to work as a Year-Round intern will be based upon summer performance, business need, and the interest of the intern.
SCE offers these programs with the belief that learning and development are important parts of building future leaders. Interns will also have the opportunity to participate in intern mixers, executive speaker series, site tours, community volunteer events, and cross-company networking.
We're big believers that diversity leads to innovation, creativity, and collaboration.
Information Technology (IT) – Grid Services. This internship opportunity will be in the Grid Services (C&C) department of the Information Technology (IT) organizational unit. The organization is responsible for managing critical 24x7 operational functions in support of the electric grid (electric and generation control systems, grid communication network, grid data center, grid and telecommunication operation centers and grid security operations).
The Grid Services department is comprised of the following divisions:
Power System Controls is responsible for engineering, construction and operation of the Company’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems used to control and monitor the Company’s electric grid. Additionally, the division maintains responsibility for the ongoing development, health and operation of critical grid operation applications (EMS, Phasor, CRAS, GMS, cCURE, DMS, OMS, ALCS, ACP) as well as critical power production applications (PPD) for Peakers, Eastern Hydro & Northern Hydro, among other functions.
The Telecommunications division is responsible for architecting, engineering, installing, operating, repairing, and maintaining the voice, data, and telecommunications networks which includes over 5,000 miles of fiber. The network is used to enable essential communications across the enterprise to: dispatch personnel required to restore and activate electric services for our customers, operate and maintain the reliability of the transmission grid, automate substations, and communicate with SCE customers, among other functions.
The Grid & Telecom Operations group of Grid Services is responsible for the operation of the routed administration WAN and grid data networks, communications operations centers, transport telecommunication systems, and information resource for SCE, EIX and SCE customers. Amon the areas of focus are managing, operating, repairing, and maintaining SCE’s communication transport systems, which include data, voice, and video, performing network capacity planning and performance management, providing consultation services for application and network performance, providing metrics and analytics for Operations, NERC-CIP, and General Rate Case, and manage vendor relations and contracts.
The IT NERC CIP Programs group of Grid Services is responsible for overseeing the cybersecurity regulatory requirements in IT and ensuring that the requirements are met. The group maintains responsibility for the ongoing assurance of the NERC CIP cyber measures to protect the Power Grid networks, systems and applications in the following areas: access management and revocation; change and configuration management; security awareness; electronic security perimeter; systems security management; and vulnerability management. Additionally, the team advises on cyber security requirements for new projects and assists in identifying potential non-compliance events.
Examples of what our interns do in these different departments:
• Assist in analyzing telecommunications requirements with respect to system capacity, system reliability, and technical parameters specifically related to cost, schedule, and scope.
• Assist in developing plan of service for telecom projects including elements such as required communications facilities, facility site location, required systems, etc.
• Assist in designing circuits, and assisting in the design of facilities such as communications rooms, DC power systems, and microwave towers, to meet project and system objectives, considering a wide variety of complex factors such as environmental constraints, terrain, accessibility, availability of power, and proximity to other SCE facilities.
• Evaluate systems and equipment, making recommendations regarding deployment of new systems, network management methods, etc.
• Coordinate requirements and project delivery with internal Network Services, Edison Carrier Solutions, Corporate Real Estate, Environmental, Construction and Maintenance.
• Ensure that technical documentation related to assigned projects are produced and updated in accordance within established processes and standards. (On-line systems, drawings, and job instructions, etc...)
• Maintenance of Energy Management System.
• Attend Engineering meetings to discuss implementation of new technology for Grid Mod, and training needs. Assist with the evaluation of existing training classes for Telecommunications Technicians. Research vendor training programs. Discuss modifications to suit training needs at SCE. Plan, schedule and track Technician training classes. Evaluate technician knowledge of technology prior to and after training to measure the class effectiveness.
• Develop, test, deploy and maintain and enhance Real-Time Power System Network Modeling and Applications associated with transmission and distributed.
• Develop, maintain, and analyze data supporting our telecommunications capital projects and Operational processes for Grid Services.
• Analyze the in-take, tracking and reporting, close-out, performance monitoring and trending of over $100M in telecommunications projects including large T&D grid projects, Corporate Resources facility projects, IT network projects, and internal network refresh projects. Provide analytical support to measure the success of the internal operational functions and present process improvement recommendations to Grid Services Management team
• Manage day to day NERC CIP System Security & Monitoring (SSM) project plan and deliverables including scope schedule and budget
• Facilitate developing tools/scripts to bring efficiency to SSM process and procedures
• Actively pursue project deliverables and action items to ensure they get completed in a timely manner. Efforts may include facilitating ad hoc meetings or proactively engaging various SMEs
• Review compliance documentation, generate reports and ensure there are no compliance gaps/risks
• Meet with program manager weekly or more often if needed, to review project plan, action items/deliverables, issues and risks
• Coordinate process improvements across the Operation Units to streamline SSM process and procedures
• Engage with various teams to ensure project tasks and deliverables are completed in a timely manner including the different departments
• Interface with SCE Grid Operations, Power System Controls, design groups, peers, and external vendors to define requirements and implement new functionality
• Collaborate with peers to develop enhancements in house or will direct vendors during the construction phase of a vendor solution
• Develop and execute test plans to insure a quality product is delivered
• Utilize existing or develop new tools to analyze and troubleshoot systems to improve performance, service quality, security, and monitor resource reserves; interface with peers and vendors to diagnose software issues and develop/implement corrective fixes; diagnose, repair, and coordinate the restoration of failed computer system components; diagnose data communications, networking availability, firewall issues, and reliability issues related to control or data acquisition with external field equipment and systems
To qualify for this position you must:
• Be currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Management Systems, Business Data Analytics or closely related field at an accredited institution with a graduation date of December 2018 or later.
• Have and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
• Have experience using MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Have strong oral, and written interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to interface effectively and collaborate with peers, clients, management, and other organizations
• Demonstrated history of a self-starter, critical thinker, and problem solver
• Demonstrated ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices
Desired skills in any of the following:
• Demonstrated eagerness and ability to learn Cybersecurity related concepts, methods, and processes
• Demonstrated experience as a programmer for C , JAVA, Excel Macros, and/or analytics and reporting tools
• Demonstrated experience or knowledge of data warehouse concepts
• Demonstrated experience in an academic, professional or volunteer working with clients to create, implement and maintain websites
• Demonstrated experience with HypterText Markup Language (HTML), Internet Information Services (IIS), Personal Home Page (PHP) tools, and other web technologies
• Demonstrated experience with Microsoft OneNote, Adobe Acrobat, OneDrive, SharePoint, Yammer and other cloud applications.
• Demonstrated experience with UNIX/LINUX and Windows Operating Systems.
Demonstrated knowledge of Powershell, Python Scripting, and understanding of the OSI/TCP IP Model
• Demonstrated experience in system administration and have knowledge of system design and implementation in specific areas including networking, database management, and security administration.
• Demonstrated experience specifying, developing, analyzing, and troubleshooting: data communications interfaces, connectivity with other systems, internal/external peripheral devices such as SAN, NAS.
•Knowledge and experience of electrical circuits, or power system model
Positions are located in Rosemead and Alhambra.
Official transcripts will be verified during the interview process.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status
If you require special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment with Southern California Edison, please call Human Resources at (800) 500-4723, and choose option 3 for the Employee Information Center. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Pacific time, except Wednesdays when the center closes at 2:30 p.m., and holidays, or (800) 352-8580 (Telecommunications device for the hearing impaired - TTY
Knowledge and experience of electrical circuits, or power system model
Title: 2018 Information Technology (IT) - Grid Services (Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Information System Majors)
Other Locations: US-CA-Alhambra
Requisition ID: 70003223