Jet Propulsion Laboratory Configuration Management Engineer II in Pasadena, California
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Requisition ID 2017-8286
Project Information and Configuration
3012 - SOFTWARE & OPERATIONS CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT
Software and Computing Systems
Minimum Years of Experience
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA's lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things...do you?
The Software Configuration Management (CM) team has the responsibility for configuration management planning, change control, status accounting, audits/evaluations, product release/delivery, and implementation of the configuration identification schema.
The Configuration Management Engineer is responsible for the technical leadership of Software Configuration Management and activities on multiple projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Establishing and maintaining the program's/project's Configuration Items identifications, CM systems, including the program's documentation and software libraries/repositories,
- Developing scripts for supporting software build cycles, auditing, deployment and reporting.
- Providing CM to development teams and Program/Project Management.
- Developing, improving and training CM processes.
- Interfacing with other engineering disciplines to provide solutions to a variety of technical problems.
- Developing Configuration Management solutions to complex problems and ensuring solutions are consistent with organization objectives
- Interpreting, executing and making recommendations to organizational policies.
- Establishing and maintaining a strong interface with program/project management to guarantee successful completion of configuration management tasks.
- Provide guidance to program personnel, with the ability to identify disconnects between current activities and contractual commitments.
- Be accountable to the program/project management, as well as CM management, for the success of the CM plans and processes.
Successful candidates typically have a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Engineering, Physics, or Math.
Minimum requirements also include:
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience with Software Configuration Management Administration
- establishing, developing and implementing Configuration Management processes, training, configuration control, CM identification, implementing/maintaining data library/repository, product release and delivery, and configuration audits
- defining, analyzing or reporting Configuration Management Metrics
- developing and managing schedules
- Great attention to detail with respect to managing software, development environments, documentation, SW tools and program libraries/repositories
- Excellent presentation and leadership skills
- Ability to develop and maintain SWCM tools (ie. Puppet, CLI tools (scripts), web based tools)
- A working knowledge of CMMI and ISO 9000 requirements
- Ability to effectively interface and communicate with multiple levels of management and teammates in other engineering teams
- An intimate, working knowledge of Systems Engineering and its processes.
Preferred qualifications include:
- The ability to perform build management (compiling, linking), Release management (capturing and installing software baselines), and configuration audits
- CM certification
- Experience with Continuous integration/Continuous Delivery processes and development
- Experience using CHEF or Puppet; Atlassian Tools (JIRA); Jenkins or Hudson
- DevOPS design, procedures and processes
- Artifact repositories (Artifactory, YUM, GITHub)
- Databases: MySQL, Oracle, No-SQL
Caltech/JPL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Caltech/JPL to provide equal employment opportunities, actively recruit, and include for employment consideration all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.