Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (Recruitment/Placement) in Los Angeles, California
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1995130
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitionsdocument.
This position serves as a team supervisor of the Staffing section of Human Resources at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System. The incumbent provides a full array of Human Resources services and personnel payroll actions to the many services at multiple locations that comprise the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System. These services include but are not limited to internal and external recruitment and placement of competitive and excepted positions.
Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervises and plans work to be accomplished by subordinates, setting and adjusting short-term priorities, scheduling service chief visits for subordinate staff; preparing schedules for completion of work using WebHR and other manual means of scheduling and distributing workload.
- Assigns work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employee.
- Evaluates work performance of subordinates using competency documentation and uses to record (document) performance.
- Advises, counsels, or instructs employees on both work and administrative matters.
- Interviews candidates for positions in and outside of the team, recommends appointments, promotions, or reassignments to such positions.
- Approves and disapproves leave.
- Hears and resolves complaints from employees, refers group grievances and more serious unresolved complaints to a higher level supervisor or manager.
- Effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and admonishments and recommends other action in more serious cases following fact-finding and investigation.
- Identifies developmental and training needs of employees, provides or arranges for needed development and training through the use of competency assessments and creates a master training schedule to identify the section's training needs and the estimated costs.
- Develops and administers performance standards.
- Performs internal placement services for those positions that involve a high degree of sensitivity, require extensive research, or are otherwise significant in their ramifications.
- Resolving problems of more than average difficulty for organizations characterized by hard-to-fill and one-of-a-kind positions.
- Provides advice and assistance on a continuing basis to management in search of sound solutions to problems.
- Provides full range of staffing administrative services.
- Develops, modifies, conducts and/or oversees the presentation of basic and or refresher training in personnel staffing policies and procedures in such areas as pay setting, applicant supply procedures, job analysis and evaluation plan development, suitability determination, restricted duty counseling and placement, Reduction-in-Force (RIF), special emphasis programs, special delegated examining authority procedures, etc.
- Maintains staffing statistics and compiles information submitted by staff and generates related staffing statistical reports on a continual basis.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30 pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Supervisory Human Resources Specialist/PD# 058540
Recruitment/Relocation incentives may be authorized.
PCS is NOT authorized.
- Not Required
- Relocation/Recruitment incentive may be authorized.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to status eligible applicants - includes current Federal, VA, VHA, VBA, NCA employees, serving on career or career-conditional competitive service appointments (or VA Title 38, Title 38 Hybrid, and Canteen employees serving on excepted appointments covered by the interchange agreement); Reinstatement Eligible and Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), and non-competitive appointment under special appointment authorities (30% or more disabled Veterans, VRA, Sch A, or CTAP/ICTAP)
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-13 EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least one (1) full year of Specialized Experience that equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of this Supervisory Human Resources Specialist position at the GS-13 grade level. This experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in Federal service. Specialized experience: Experience as a lead or supervisor in a Human Resources department providing advisory services in recruitment and placement for Title 5, Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 positions; interpreting and applying human resources policies and procedures; assigning work to subordinate employees; and providing guidance and consultation to management on a variety of matters. (A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position, salary/grade level, and the number of hours a week spent in such employment).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:No special physical demands are required for this position. Employee frequently carries light items such as paper files, records, etc. The work is primarily performed while sitting though some work may require periods of standing.
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-13 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-12 level.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476035800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-17
Salary: $96,698 to $125,706 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 13
Series: 0201 Human Resources Management
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: RN-17-LMO-1995130
Control number: 476035800