U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Student Trainee (Civil Engineering) in Los Angeles, California
About the Position: Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation.
For this internship, you must be able to work full time during school breaks such as summer or winter. Part time is acceptable but cannot work 10 hour days.
This intern position is designed to prepare a student trainee for employment after graduation as a Civil Engineer. Interns will be assigned tasks designed to increase familiarity with the target occupation in a real world work environment.
This opportunity follows a standard promotional path: This position is developmental in nature, leading to a target grade of GS-11. Upon meeting regulatory and performance requirements the incumbent may be promoted non-competitively to the target level of GS-11 through the intervening grade(s) of GS-05/07/09 or GS-07/09 dependent on grade selected.
- Internship selection will be made at the GS-04 or 05. These grade levels are what typical college students entering their 3rd or 5th year will qualify.
- Within 120 days after completion of Internship requirements, you may be eligible for conversion to the entry-level for the target occupation. Entry level for these positions are typically at the GS-5 level. The actual grade level at the time of conversion depends on academic achievement and other factors.
- The full performance level of this position is GS-11.
- Progression from the entry-level to the full performance level for this occupation will depend on successful completion of all requirements for promotion. Promotions may be considered after a year at each grade level, but are not guaranteed to occur on a specific time schedule.
Who May Apply: Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution on at least a half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). Short-term training programs (e.g., several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
Internship for current students in good standing at an accredited education.
Cut off for 1st referral will be 10/16/17. Learn more about this agency
This position provides for development and training under the Pathways Internship Program. Intern assignments become more responsible as incumbent increases knowledge and skills through work experience and academic training.
At the full-performance level GS-11, you will be expected to:
- Studies, plans and develops the civil engineering aspects for complete projects of a conventional nature or portions of more complex work under direction of a senior engineer.
- Performs technical review of the civil engineering aspects of project documents prepared by A-E firms, other agencies or other Corps Districts.
- Project documents generally consist of special studies and reports, Reconnaissance Reports, Feasibility Reports and Technical Appendices, Design Memoranda, design analyses, contract plans and specifications, and Operation and Maintenance Manuals.
- Under the direction of the Project Development Team Leader, coordinates, as requested, the preparation of design criteria documents, design memoranda, technical reports, contract plans and technical specifications, inspection reports and Operation and Maintenance Manuals for assigned Civil Works Projects.
Occasional travel - Business travel may be required up to approximately 10% of the year.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
0899 Engineering And Architecture Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- Pathways Agreement
- US Citizenship
- Pathways Requirements
Other Requirements: Click herefor expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship as a GS-04, students must have completed two full academic years of post-high school study or have an associate's degree.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship as a GS-05, students must have completed 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree. NOTE: Students that are graduating and are not subsequently enrolled in another program might not meet the work-hour requirements prior to graduation and will be at risk for not being able to convert to a career or career-conditional appointment!
For qualification purposes, an academic year is computed as follows: * At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of a degree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. For example, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduate education. Four years of progressive study or 120 semester hours meets the degree requirements. Additional credit cannot be given for duplicate course work. * For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroom hours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school. * An academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 academic year of full-time study. This determination is made based on normal course loads for a full year of study in the graduate program. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended. * When academic credit is expressed in contract months, units, or other terms that differ from conventional semester or quarter hours, it is the responsibility of the applicant to provide an interpretation of such credits from the appropriate institution in order to equate them to the semester or quarter hours specified in the standard.
NOTE: If your college, vocational, trade, technical or high schools' definition of "academic year" differs from above, you must submit proof of this difference (e.g., copy of course catalog that defines an academic year). Absent this documentation, you will screened for academic qualifications based on the academic hours as defined in the bullets above.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Grade Point Average
For this internship, you must be a current student majoring in Civil Engineering.
This occupation has specific educational requirements for entry and applicants must show evidence that their planned academic program will meet those requirements (i.e. transcript reflecting enrollment in applicable programs). Currently enrolled or have been accepted for enrollment and seeking a degree, diploma, or certificate in an accredited college or university on a full or half-time basis, as defined by the educational institution.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
This is a student internship opportunity. Your transcripts are a required part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This position may require a mobility agreement if converted to the DA program. Eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent or term position. Interns must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen at the time of conversion;
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program prior to or concurrent with completion of academic requirements;
- Complete their educational requirements (as specified in the announcement);
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualification standard, including any applicable positive education requirement and/or selective placement factors and any other special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the specific competitive service position to which the intern will be converted;
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Internship Program as defined in the agency-participant agreement; and
- Perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations and/or completion of an Individual Development Plan (IDP).
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of two quality categories: Ideal Candidate, and Eligible Candidate. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the education required for this occupation.
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- Transcripts and Enrollment Verification: Enrollment verification (if transcripts do not reflect current enrollment), and unofficial transcripts for education claimed in your resume and occupational questionnaire is required. If you provide an unofficial transcript at the time of application and you are selected, you will be asked for official versions prior to appointment. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- Applicants claiming Veterans Preference or Military Spouse preference (MSP): to verify your preference claim you MUST submit supporting documents with your application package.
- If you are currently serving on active duty: You MUST submit a certification from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date you apply to this opportunity. If you supply a certification at this stage, your preference/eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. More information about Veteran's Preference is located on the Feds Hire Vets website. Please upload veteran's documents under the appropriate category. As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.* If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.*
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 11/08/2017 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10060564).
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
The Department of Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
KC-APF-W2ST01 US ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES DO NOT MAIL Sacramento, CA US
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the program requirements. Your resume, transcripts, and other supporting documents will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the online questionnaire. Eligible applicants will be placed into the ideal, strong, and eligible categories.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. For questions regarding the status of your application, eligibility or qualifications determination contact: USARMY.APG.CHRA-NE.MBX.APPLICANTHELP@MAIL.MIL.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481382800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/10/2017 to 11/08/2017
Salary: $33,079 to $37,009 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 4 - 5
Work schedule: Multiple Schedules
Appointment type: Permanent