City of Hope Research Associate I - The Sedrak Social Media Research Team in Duarte, California
Requisition ID: 10278
Job Title: Research Associate I The Sedrak Social Media Research Team
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
A Research Associate I position is available immediately to join the Sedrak Research Team at City of Hope. In this role, you will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Mina Sedrak, the Principal Investigator, assisting in the development, execution, and analysis of social media research projects. Our team is open to unconventional approaches, applying mixed scientific research methods, empowering the team to produce high quality, innovative research.
This is an exciting opportunity to launch your research career and build the skills necessary to be a successful physician and/or scientist.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity for variety, challenge, and growth
- Training and career development
- Mentorship opportunities
- Collaborative, team-oriented, and high-performing atmosphere
- Prepare, organize, and conduct interviews with research participants
- Recruit, screen, and consent eligible study participants
- Assist in formulating, designing, and conducting survey studies
- Collect data and safeguard the confidentiality of subjects as necessary
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis (e.g., code interviews and assist with data entry/data management)
- Perform literature searches and maintain reference databases
- Help prepare and contribute to reports and research papers for publication and presentation at conferences
- Assist with grant applications and progress reports to funding agencies
- Attend and participate in relevant staff meetings and trainings
- Assist with applications to Institutional Review Boards and other regulatory materials
- Manage and respond to project related emails
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The Sedrak Research Team studies how social media platforms can enhance the public's knowledge, health behaviors, and outcomes as they relate to cancer. Our goal is to understand the use and limits of new and rapidly evolving modes of participative communication (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) as they apply to cancer research. We seek to understand how interpersonal connections influence personal health choices and actions, and identify pathways by which these new media platforms influence informational and social support, behaviors, and outcomes in oncology.
Resume/CV and Cover Letter should be addressed to:Dr. Sedrak. When applying, please submit both resume/CV and cover letter in one file.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field (biology, engineering, computer and information sciences, bioethics, social work, psychology, linguistics, anthropology, sociology, preferred)
- Familiar with research methods from coursework, internship, or work experience
- Self-starter, driven, motivated to take initiative, and possess an ambitious curiosity
- Loves teamwork, but also great at prioritizing and managing multiple projects independently
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.